When I created holi (water) I knew I was creating an essence that would take you one step closer to restoring your skin's brilliance. So many people aren't clear on what an essence is, or why you should include one in your skincare routine (or if you really need one), but our facial essence, holi (water), is a game-changer.
Today, I will run you through the benefits of using a facial essence, why an essence is different from a toner and why I think they deliver a much more hydrating and caring experience.
Head here for more information on holi (water), how and why it was formulated, and why I never cut any corners on this exquisite product that is packed with the highest quality hyaluronic acid and pearl powder.
What is an essence?
An essence is a water-based product for your skin, with a unique, highly hydrating consistency.
Originating from the Korean beauty industry (always ahead of the trend with their skincare), essences have a lightweight, fluid texture (known as a very low molecular weight). This low molecular weight is why holi (water) glides on like a dream.
Essences act like carriers to other ingredients held within them. So, depending on the formulation of the essence you are using, their application helps supply the skin with other soothing, nourishing and restorative ingredients that protect, nourish, and boost the health of your skin.
Are essences different from toners?
Yes. They're quite different and shouldn't be used in place of each other.
A toner's primary function is to rebalance the skin's pH levels, clean the skin of all residue and reduce pore size.
Toners have also historically been associated with alcohol-based skin care products (which is why your skin sometimes gets tighter when you use them). These harsher toners focus on providing the skin with a more aggressive clean. Unfortunately, these can often be harsh and damaging for skin, particularly if you do not struggle with oily or acne-based skin.
An essence is much more hydrating - powerful but gentle.
How should essences be used?
Essences should be applied after cleansing or double-cleansing. You can then use your serums and moisturizer afterward.
What are the key benefits of using a facial essence?
Essences help to:
- Nourish dry or dehydrated skin thanks due to their intensely hydrating abilities and lightweight, fluid, water-based texture. In today's society, so many factors cause the skin to get dehydrated, including the natural aging process, air conditioning, pollution, harsh products, dehydration, traveling, and more. Essences can be an amazing part of a daily skincare regime if you are looking to prioritize hydration (and who isn't?!)
- Balance your skin's pH - essences help to keep your skin hydrated and balanced but without being excessively oily.
- Ensure better absorption of follow-on products into your skin - it is well known (and scientifically proven) that product absorption is way more effective when applied to wet skin. What this means is that using an essence can improve the absorption and performance of the next set of products you put on your skin after the toner; and
- Deliver high levels of active ingredients - depending on the other active ingredients in the essence, essences can be packed full of other benefits. Sometimes antioxidant, sometimes anti-aging, always nourishing - whichever essence you pick, you will be packing your skincare regime with ultimate nourishment.
And talking of active ingredients, our essence, Holi (water,) is packed full of unique and amazing ingredients into the essence that I haven't seen included anywhere else.
So when you use our essence, you'll also be nourishing your skin with:
- Hyaluronic acid - to plump your skin, smooth out fine lines, and actively replenish the skin's surface;
- Pearl powder - to promote an overall glow, stimulate new skin growth and healing and remove sun damage and age spots;
- Pitaya extract - a potent concentration of Vitamin C to help reduce the appearance of hyperpigmentation and promote collagen growth. Also, pitaya extract is antimicrobial, reducing the likelihood of breakouts, pimples, and acne;
- Lavender water - soothing, calming, and anti-bacterial to help manage breakouts and calm skin;
- Cucumber distillate - perfect to replenish dehydrated skin but also protect against environmental stressors that I see causing so many fine lines and wrinkles; and
- Bulgarian Rosewater - included to gently exfoliate and tone the skin and deliver the most beautiful heart-warming aroma that works on both a physical and a spiritual level.
Interested in an essence? Try holi (water) and let me know what you think.
I know you'll love it. It glides on like a dream.
***THESE STATEMENTS HAVE NOT BEEN APPROVED OR REGULATED BY THE FDA. WE ARE NOT DOCTORS, THEREFORE ALWAYS CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST