What is Glutathione?
Every cell in the body produces glutathione, a major antioxidant and molecule found naturally in your body. It is high in sulfur and can be found in all the cruciferous vegetables. Many longevity scientists believe that the level of glutathione in our cells predicts how long we will live.
Glutathione allows your body to detoxify itself which enables you to stay healthy. It has been coined with the term "master anti-oxidant" due to its essential role in maintaining anti-oxidants such as vitamin C & E in their active form. It is estimated that each cell in the body withstands 10,000 hits by free radicals each day. Glutathione rids these free radicals before they wreak havoc and cleans up the oxidative stress related damage that has occurred by protecting the body against disease, toxins, viruses, pollutants, radiation and drugs. It protects your DNA from damage, lowers inflammation and helps fend off heart disease, cancer, neurological decline and dementia. It neutralizes and clears heavy metals and toxins from the body. Glutathione plays a significant role in strengthening the immune system and preventing an overactive immune system which can trigger allergies and auto-immune diseases.
Levels of glutathione begin to decline with aging as the majority of individuals in our society become more toxic and deficient. Additionally, our society has more environmental toxicity than ever before due to pesticides, herbicides, heavy metals, pollution and pharmaceutical drugs. Unfortunately, many diets are void of the necessary precursors for this critical agent. For many people, this translates to low energy, a compromised immune system and illness. We can age gracefully and slowly and possibly stop major health problems by boosting our glutathione levels. If sufficient glutathione is not available in the body, the toxins will overload the liver and lead to fat soluble toxins being stored in fatty tissues. The central nervous system, breasts and prostate are the most susceptible areas but decreased glutathione levels also contribute to endometriosis, adenomyosis, fibroids and thyroid dysfunction. When serious glutathione deficiency occurs, we begin to suffer from cardiovascular and inflammatory issues, liver dysfunction and age-related diseases such as Parkinson's and Alzheimer's. Researchers credit the increase in neurological disease and cancer to depleted cellular glutathione. The brain produces more free radicals than any other tissue and is therefore in need of more glutathione than any other organ. They estimate that a 30% reduction of glutathione is enough for cellular dysfunction to occur.
Studies have shown that adequate vitamin D is necessary for optimal glutathione production. The vast majority of our society is extremely deficient in vitamin D. Optimal vitamin D levels should be between 60-100 ng/ml. It’s important to combine vitamin D3 with vitamin K2 so that it can absorb properly.
Glutathione precursors such as glycine, glutamic acid and cysteine should be consumed through organic sulfur, avocados, onions, garlic, turmeric, spinach and cruciferous vegetables.
How To Increase Glutathione:
- Exercise triggers glutathione but don’t over do it
- Unmanaged, chronic stress depletes glutathione, so meditate, listen to healing music, practice yoga and look into taking our adaptogen called holi youth, It lowers the stress hormone called cortisol.
- Include the supplement organic suflur
- Include foods that stimulate glutathione production- organic garlic and onions, asparagus, avocados, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, parsley and watercress. Cinnamon, cardamom and curcumin also offer benefits.
- Minimize your exposure to toxins by eating organic, filtering your water, use natural cosmetics and cleaning products, switch to glass for food and water storage and reheating
- To achieve optimal levels, look into glutathione IV drips. Not all are created equal. Make sure your doctor or practitioner is using high quality glutathione that is not cut. I love to get mine from VitaLife in Santa Monica. Dr Dominique Fradin-Read is a phenomenal MD and holistic doctor. She was the first person in twenty years who was able to cut my insanely high estrogen levels by putting me on a high dose of melatonin and DIM. Dr Will Cole’s custom AIP diet and supplements that were tailored to my needs helped me as well.
***THESE STATEMENTS HAVE NOT BEEN APPROVED OR REGULATED BY THE FDA. WE ARE NOT DOCTORS, THEREFORE ALWAYS CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST.