Blackstrap molasses, which is a thick, dark syrup is made when sugar cane plants are processed to make sugar. Even though the refined sugar is largely considered unhealthy, the thick, syrup of molasses holds minerals and nutrients that are absorbed by the plant. These minerals and nutrients include: Iron, Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Manganese, Vitamin B6, Copper and Selenium. Molasses also has no fat, cholesterol and barely any sodium. Therefore, it can be consumed by a diabetic person. It is important to consume this product in moderation, so therefore no more than one tablespoon per day.
Here are the top health benefits:
- Prevents Anemia: Blackstrap molasses is a great source of iron and therefore can be essential to someone who has iron-deficiency anemia. Since it is a good source of iron, it helps the body to create more red blood cells, which carry oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body.
- Reduces Menstrual Problems: Blackstrap molasses contains certain minerals, such as Magnesium and Calcium, that can help relieve menstrual cramps. It can also help the body to maintain healthy muscles in your uterus.
- Cures Constipation and Improves Other Digestive Problems: Blackstrap molasses is a natural laxative which can soften the stool. It can help to relieve constipation and make the bowels more regular. This is due to the high Magnesium content in the molasses that helps to relax muscles and bring water into the stool, which makes it naturally easier to pass.
- Improves Heart Health: Blackstrap molasses can help to control heart related issues, such as palpitations, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and more. This is because the molasses is high in Potassium, Iron, Calcium and Magnesium. All of these nutrients help to prevent the body from experiencing deficiencies that can cause heart palpitations.
- Combats Stress: A common vitamin that is recommended by health experts to improve your mood and ease the effects of stress is Vitamin B. This vitamin is found in blackstrap molasses and therefore can help the brain and nervous system to function properly. It can also help you to feel relaxed, fight stress and fight fatigue.
- Prevents Cancer: It is also believed that blackstrap molasses can also be used to prevent and treat certain types of cancer. This is because the molasses contains Selenium, which helps the cells to defend themselves against cancerous cells.
- Increases Stamina and Energy: Blackstrap molasses can also help to give you more stamina and energy. Since it is made from sugar, it offers a temporary energy boost when it provides your body with carbohydrates that are converted into energy in your body.
- Maintains Strong Muscles and Bones Blackstrap molasses also is high in Calcium, which helps the body to strengthen bones. One tablespoon of the molasses can provide your body with over ten percent of your daily value of Calcium.
- Improves Sleep Blackstrap molasses can even help to cure insomnia, since it is high in Calcium. Calcium can help the body to produce melatonin, which helps your body to feel tired. The Magnesium in the molasses is also a natural nutrient that helps your body to feel tired.
- Maintains Hair Health: Consuming blackstrap molasses on a daily basis can even improve your hair health, growth and color.