Silicones are drying your hair. Why I chose to make hair (silk) without silicones and harsh chemicals
As the clean, green and non-toxic beauty revolution gets more mainstream than ever before, you might have heard about silicones - and the more you get to know about Agent Nateur and me, the more you'll learn that I refuse to formulate with them, ever.
When I started creating hair (silk), Agent’s first peptide-based, smoothing and styling serum, I knew silicones were never an option, so I went on an amazingly informative journey looking for natural, powerful, and show-stopping replacements.
But what are silicones?
Silicones are actually naturally derived (coming from things like quartz and sand), but because of how labs and formulators interfere with them, the end product of 'silicone' is actually a synthetic, artificial, man-made and non-natural ingredient.
Silicones are like plastic because they are a flexible substance, so businesses use them in tons of products (even in breast implants, which is crazy!).
When used in hair care products, silicones provide shine and control to hair and can help detangle hair and assist with smoothing and styling - particularly for curly, frizzy, or coarse hair.
So, what's the problem?
First of all, it's important to know that not every silicone out there is damaging, but the vast majority are.
Secondly, it's essential to understand that silicones are not toxic in their own right. It's actually that the damage comes from using silicones consistently and over time.
They often have a positive impact initially (which is why they have been included in so many products). This means people start using them, see results, and then keep using them. I see loads of people trying really hard with their hair care regimes, not understanding that the silicones they are using are damaging their hair in the long run. What starts out shiny ends up being dry, brittle, and broken.
This is because silicones build up on the hair shaft over time, leaving a residue on the hair. This can block moisture, hydration, and product from getting into and onto the hair. As a result, silicones start to act like protective, waterproofing agents - not letting things into the hair that need to get there for healthy functioning and shine.
Using silicones in the mid or long-term means your hair will likely get duller, less shiny, less vibrant, and also more dehydrated and weak due to the lack of moisture getting to it.
I refuse to work with an ingredient that is damaging, particularly as I genuinely believe you can create products that deliver shine and moisture without using or relying on silicones.
What I formulate with instead
For hair (silk), our peptide-based soft hydrating hair serum, I wanted to find non-silicone based ingredients that performed just as well. What I found instead was ingredients that hydrate, revive and soften your hair, without the use of harsh silicones. This serum ensures the look of strong, smooth, soft and shiny hair, while also strengthening the appearance of your mane.
So, how did it do it? I combined nourishing oils, restorative proteins, and replenishing conditioners to create an incredible serum that is so revolutionary for hair health and shine.
Here are some of the key ingredients that I formulated with to deliver the ultimate gloss, softness, and shine for your hair without having to go anywhere near silicones:
- Silk peptides - hydrolyzed proteins derived from the natural silk Fibroin that helps to strengthen hair, improve elasticity and lock moisture in;
- High-molecular weight hyaluronic acid - delivering ultimate hydration combined with a filling and restorative effect that promotes the appearance of thick, voluminous hair, delivered with a sleek, smooth and healthy finish;
- Beracare ARS Hair Serum™ - an active ingredient that is a natural complex packed with properties that promote the look of hair follicle revitalization and hydration of the scalp;
- Crambe abyssinica seed phytosterol esters - a potent ingredient delivering moisture, hydration and improving the appearance of hair elasticity and condition;
- Monoi oil - a lightweight moisturizing agent packed full of antioxidants to restore intense shine and deeply nourish and hydrate;
- Passiflora edulis seed - high in linoleic acid and lycopene, this seed delivers smoothing, taming, and nourishing qualities, nurturing dry, dehydrated, and damaged hair and scalps, while its lightweight qualities also ensure it is suitable for fine hair;
- Pumpkin seed - packed full of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids helps hair appear more voluminous while simultaneously nourishing both roots and ends; and
- The Hibiscus rosa-sinensis plant - a flowering plant rich in antioxidants, lipids, Vitamin A and C, and an array of amino acids helps to promote healthier hair and thicker-looking hair.
This styling serum is truly exquisite - and entirely silicone free.
You can get yours here.
***THESE STATEMENTS HAVE NOT BEEN APPROVED OR REGULATED BY THE FDA. WE ARE NOT DOCTORS, THEREFORE ALWAYS CONSULT WITH YOUR DOCTOR FIRST