Jena Covello finally sits down with a pillar in her healing journey, worldwide consulting functional medicine practitioner, Dr. Will Cole. After seeking his help in 2017, bed ridden and in chronic pain, Jena shares how Dr. Cole helped lower her estrogen dominance for the first time since her diagnosis. Although she was apprehensive of more diet restrictions at first, Jena talks about how his famous AIP diet eventually helped her regain control of her health and begin to feel better again. In this episode Jena and Dr. Will Cole touch on new approaches focused on epigenetics, gene mutations and how lifestyle and environment play a role in human health. And in light of the Covid-19 viral situation we are now facing, an important discussion on how to build the immune system with vitamins, minerals and nutrient dense foods takes place. Let’s take a closer look at what we learned.
Dr. Will Cole first touches on how genetic expression and certain mutations are being caused by the environment. Some of these genetic predispositions influence diseases such as cancer, diabetes, thyroid function, estrogen dominance, digestive problems, anxiety and autoimmunity just to name a few. Some of the things discussed that may play a role inflammation and what we can do to help are:
- Avoid heavy metals in food, water and the environment by going organic, filtering water and supporting companies that test food sources.
- Avoid the use of pesticides, herbicides and fungicides in food and agriculture by supporting local organic farmers who create sustainable farming.
- Avoid GMO foods such as sugar, soy, wheat, corn, canola, vegetable Oil and all processed foods.
- Avoid toxic drinking or tap water by using under and over the counter filters such as Berkey. (Alkaline water is not benefical for all, Jena in particular only drinks acidic water but uses a Berkey for her shower.)
- Control daily stress and avoid fight or flight mode.
- Avoid nightshade foods such as tomatoes, potatoes and nuts.
- Avoid estrogenic foods when addressing estrogen dominance.
After a consult and extensive blood panel, Dr. Cole was able to customize a plan on how certain things affected Jena according to her results. Things like the AIP elimination diet, rebuilding the gut and addressing the list above helped propel Jena in her healing journey. These lifestyle changes focused on aiding in her debilitating adenomyosis pain and estrogen dominance.
In light of the current situation with COVID-19, both Jena and Dr. Will Cole discuss precaution, prevention and what can be done to build and strengthen the immune system. Things like washing hands and using herbal antimicrobial applications versus chemicals based sanitizers. Lets sounds off some of the vitamins, minerals and nutrient dense foods to help nourish the immune system that were shared as well:
- Clean sources of Omega 3.
- A good probiotic source
- Zach Bush’s Ion Biome gut strengthening mineral supplement.
- Vitamin A in the form of a clean fish source for easier absorption of anti inflammatory properties.
- Beef liver for Iron with Vitamin C for iron absorption.
- B vitamins in the form of foie gras, chicken and beef liver.
- Vitamin D3 paired with K2
- Liposomal vitamin C
- Zinc nutrient foods.
- Zach Bush's Ion Biome gut health.
One of the most important points that both Dr. Cole and Jena explained in this interview was the importance of identifying everyones individual health needs and how diet is not a “once size fits all”. This creates a space to allow people to make individual personalized changes according to ones specific body and needs. Many of these tips and health issues are addressed and can be found in Dr. Will Cole books “Ketoterian” and “The Inflammation Spectrum”. Because Dr. Coles intervention was so successful in helping Jena not only heal but look younger, she decided a collaboration of both of their passions was absolutely necessary to share with the world. This is when Agent Nateur and Dr. Will Cole’s holi (youth) The Oceanic Adaptogen was born. Some of the ingredients and benefits found in this ground breaking formula are :
- Holy Basil, an ancient herb that helps reduce inflammation, modulate imbalanced cortisol levels and minimizes skin issues.
- Pearl Powder, a calcium, magnesium and amino acid rich oceanic adaptogen that radiates skin from the inside out and promotes hair growth.
- Spirulina, a nutrient dense algae rich in B vitamins, healthy omegas and trace minerals that promotes detoxing and supports the immune system.
- Marine Collagen, a heavy metal free collagen sourced from bones and scales of wild caught deep sea fish that support gut and immune health, decrease wrinkles and hydrate complexion.
All of this amazing information and so much more is featured on Jena’s sit down with Dr. Will Cole. You can access it by clicking the NATEURious tab in Apple Podcasts. Also, don’t forget to tune into next week's episode where Jena interviews LA-based attorney Matt Bilinsky, a human truth teller often referred to as the "Mayor of Beverly Hills" who shares his political commentary in regards to California and Covid-19. See you there!
Click Here to Listen: