Aging is inevitable, but I believe we can do it beautifully and proactively. Anyway, our wrinkles are a reminder of how far we have come, and how much wisdom and experience we have. I know a lot of women worry about the first signs of aging showing up as crepey, thinning and sagging skin in the neck area. The truth is, you can nurture your skin with a goal of skin tightening, skin strengthening and skin elasticity long before any sagging starts. My mom has been a big inspiration for me in understanding how preventative skin care can help with the challenge of thinning and crepey skin as we age, as well as being my inspiration for the development of our new holi (lift) product. I wanted to create the ultimate ageless elixir for all skin types but one that was really exceptional for mature or aging skin too, particularly with helping to firm and lift the neck area.
So, what is crepey skin? Crepey skin is skin that has a thinner, more wrinkled surface. It's called crepey because it resembles crepe paper. It's part of the aging process that is driven by genetics but it can also be driven by ultraviolet light damage, external pollutants and stressors, chemicals and toxic cosmetics, smoking, dehydration and even large amounts of weight loss too fast. As you age, your skin starts to thin and the areas most prone to aging will start to demonstrate a loss of elasticity, tightness and resilience first. When you stretch this crepey skin, it doesn't return to its normal positioning so quickly as it would when you were younger. As we get older we often see age spots and wrinkles. I formulated holi (lift) specifically to deliver anti-aging benefits for skin that is prone to thinning or sagging. How did I do this? I formulated it with not only natural nutrients but also 12 revolutionary trademarked patented and trademarked actives that deliver ageless skin.
The actives are a really important part of this formulation and these trademarked, patented clinical actives work alongside calcium ketogluconate, lactic acid and french silk peptides to stop sagging, crepey or thinning skin before it starts.
One of the main actives in the formulation literally slows down muscle contraction and cell proliferation in the body. Slowing muscle cell contraction leads to smoothing of the skin, in turn reducing wrinkles, similar to how botox does. This active also contributes to brightening of skin cells in the face, neck and decolletage area through encouraging dormancy of melanocytes. The extract is essentially like sleep for the skin and also protects the skin barrier from oxidative stress and external pollutants. It’s been called the alternative to botox and that is why I think it is perfect for preventing and treating crepey skin on the neck.
Another incredible ingredient in holi (lift) that is incredible at combating crepey or sagging skin is a clinically-backed, active ingredient made up of native New Zealand Red seaweed and Mamaku- Black fern meristem cells. This anti-free radical and natural chelating agent has lifting properties that contribute to diminishing redness, wrinkles and fine lines in just 15 minutes. Studies into this clinical showed that red seaweed extract in the active outperformed the hydrating qualities of hyaluronic acid after only 1-minute administration. The Mamaku in the formulation also contains a unique and highly complex blend made of biopolymers (Glucuronomannans, arabinogalactan) that have excellent anti-pollution and anti-oxidant agents too. So, as well as delivering superior hydration, they also work together to form a 3D matrix that provides an immediate lifting and tightening of the skin, perfect for the neck area.
I also formulated with another active that has been created to naturally re-energize cells in the skin, face and neck area by delivering metabolic energy that skin cell’s need for growth and repair. It supports the foundations of the skin’s extracellular matrix including collagen and hyaluronic acid and research has also shown that this ingredient smoothes fine lines and wrinkles and also fights against hyperpigmentation by evening skin tone. The unique properties of this active allow it to hold water tightly enough to deliver it where it is needed beneath the surface of the skin, making it an excellent, long-lasting moisturizer, helping to keep the neck area hydrated and less likely to sag or thin or develop that ‘crepey’ nature.
Alongside the actives, the calcium ketogluconate in the product also helps to slow sagging of the neck area by stimulating the production of hyaluronic acid in skin cells and through supporting elastin synthesis to promote cell regeneration. Studies also show that the french silk peptides in the formulation deliver collagen stimulation, ‘botox-like’ wrinkle smoothing properties and an antioxidative power which help to slow the aging of the face and neck area. The peptides also serve as the building blocks for not only new collagen in the face, neck & decolletage area as well as promoting the growth of elastin fibers in the body. The silk in this formulation is incredible for the neck area too. The sericin forms a layer of protection over the skin and may help promote hydration while the fibroin is thought to help repair skin cells and balance moisture levels. Peptides fit perfectly in the realm of age-defying topicals that are critical for protecting the neck area.
If you are really concerned about the aging of your neck area, or are looking to prevent sagging in this area before it happens, it's important to combine a product like holi (lift) with proactive treatments and therapies.
My favorite selection of therapies include:
- Botox - to help erase fine lines and wrinkles. A botox neck lift can help with wrinkles in the neck and decolletage area, as well as helping to improve face contouring and reducing the appearance of jowls;
- Retinol - retinol supports the natural surface skin cell renewal, working to smooth the skin's texture and reduce the appearance of wrinkles. For the neck area, you can apply retinol once a week to the neck to help get rid of the appearance of neck lines;
- PRFM Plasma - PRFM taps into the power of your body’s own healing factors, using your own platelet-rich fibrin matrix;
- FORMA - another non-invasive facial rejuvenation treatment, a forma facial uses heat and radiofrequency to increase collagen production in your face, lifting, tightening, and contouring your skin. This can be great as a preventative treatment for the neck and decolletage area. It is painless.
- Morpheus 8 - the Morpheus8 Skin Tightening treatment uses micro-needling combined with radiofrequency. Radio frequency works by delivering thermal energy and micro-needling creates tiny puncture wounds to promote a healing response – both have been scientifically proven to stimulate collagen production, elastin and new skin cells and is great for the neck area too. This can be an extremely painful procedure.
- Emface: Similar to Emsculpt, but for the face. Emface combines electromagnetic stimulation with radiofrequency to lift and tighten the neck, chin, face and brow. Emface uses High-Intensity Facial Electrical Stimulation (HIFES) to contract and strengthen the facial muscles, which will sculpt and lift. It is pain-free.
- Titan: A non-surgical, non-ablative treatment utilizes infrared light instead of lasers or injections to quickly and safely produce firmer, more youthful looking skin. It hurts!!
On top of this, if you are really passionate about preventing crepey and sagging skin before it happens, then you need to get the basics right of a low-tox lifestyle that supports great cellular health as a foundation for anti-aging. Look into achieving great hydration with high quality filtered water, non-toxic beauty, cosmetic, cleaning cooking and house products, effective bath, shower and drinking filters, clean, filtered air, effective exercise and lymphatic drainage, as well as a good, clean diet free of alcohol and processed foods, well-managed emotional health, balanced stress levels, an exercise routine and a calm, regulated nervous system.
Get your holi (lift) here and let me know how you like it!