Everyone wants stronger, sexier, shinier hair - Here's how to get it
People message me all the time about my hair overhaul, and how insanely long, shiny, and healthy my hair looks these days. I always tell them that my hair formulations are a big part of my hair journey (more on that later) but I also tell people that you have to understand the key drivers and root causes behind hair loss to get to grips with overhauling the way you treat, nourish and care for your hair.
Once you start to understand the key drivers behind poor hair health, you are one step closer to taking control of the situation. Getting to the root cause is always the best place to fix the problem, right where it began.
Here are some of the root causes of hair loss or hair thinning, or just poor hair growth, that are often overlooked, misunderstood or ignored:
- Hormone imbalances - a lot of hair loss involves higher than normal testosterone levels because the hormonal process of testosterone converting to DHT harms the hair follicle and triggers your hair to fall out. Other root cause issues like polycystic ovaries (PCOS) and post-partum hormone changes can drive androgenic alopecia (which is female pattern hair loss).
- Low thyroid function - losing your hair or eyebrows (particularly the outer half) is a classic sign of hypothyroidism. Look out for poor thyroid function as well as other tell-tale signs like low energy, sluggish metabolism, and digestion, always being or feeling the cold and more.
- Nutrient deficiencies - it's important to keep a balanced nutrient profile across the board, but the three big guys here for healthy hair are iron, B12, and Zinc. It's also essential to have enough stomach acid to ensure adequate absorption of the minerals and nutrients you are taking in and eat enough (high quality) protein to help with this absorption. Poor gut health, microbiome imbalances and gut dysfunction are also driven by nutrient deficiencies (as well as other things), and gut dysfunction and heavy metal toxicity can also prevent your thyroid from working optimally, which, in turn, can impact your hair health and hair.
- Stress & inflammation - suppression of traumatic experiences and not processing emotional situations or ongoing chronically stressful situations can lead to an inflammatory response within the body as it remains on 'high alert'. This stress and inflammation can drive hair loss as the body remains in a stressed health state.
Now - the bit everyone has been waiting for! My product recommendations for overhauling your hair health. These are my favorite formulations and products that will overhaul, repair and rebuild your hair journey. I have spent years formulating these, and I am obsessed with them. I know you will be too.
- First up, holi (mane) - Collagen and pearl powder - holi (mane) is one of my best-selling products to overhaul hair, skin, and nails and it's so much more than a collagen supplement. I only ever formulate holi(mane) with non-agglomerated collagen, making it the highest quality of collagen on the market, with no corners being cut and on top of that. Our collagen is also far superior because it has multiple sources of collagen in it (1,2, 3 and 4), which is something that you won't get from many collagens on the market. All our sources are derived from the highest quality scales of wild-caught, deep-sea fish - derived from non-GMO, deep caught kosher cod, pollock and haddock. Me and my team are also obsessed with minerals and holi (mane) is abundant in over 30 trace minerals, including silica, magnesium, calcium and potassium that support the appearance of optimal hair, skin and nail health. The bioavailable nutrient-dense blend also powers glutathione and superoxide dismutase, two critical antioxidants essential for hair health and vitality. Give yourself 3 months for a total overhaul of your hair (and also your skin and nails). I promise you, you won't be disappointed. Purchase here.
- Our hair treatment and growth serum - holi (locks) - is a treatment oil made for the scalp and ends, made to actively fight against the appearance of hair loss and hair breakage for men and women. It's backed by advanced hair science and I released the ingredient list so you can see the four scientifically proven, insanely powerful, patented active ingredients that truly help you to overhaul your hair. They're also combined with natural, powerful ayurvedic ingredients that also support growth, hydration and nourishment. If you're looking to deeply repair or fight against the appearance of hair loss, balding or hair thinning, I'd go for holi (locks).,applying it 3-4 times a week from scalp to mid-section of the hair, leave overnight, and then rinse and repeat for 3-6 months. For the full ingredient list or to order, head here.
- Our nourishing styling serum, hair (silk) - this is perfect for styling, smoothing, softening but also repairing hair. It's a jasmine & amber-infused lightweight silk peptide hair serum that delivers strong, smooth, and shiny hair, while also protecting your mane against future damage. The serum is both restorative and protective. It is unique from other hair oils because it works with your hair over time, not just for a day. It's formulated with french silk peptides, hyaluronic acid, and monoi as well as an incredible active ingredient called Beracare ARS Hair Serum™ which is a natural complex packed with properties that promote the look of hair follicle revitalization and hydration of the scalp. So, if you're after a restorative and protective styling serum, hair (silk) is the product for you. For the full ingredient list, or to order, head here.
Product aside, there are also some other tips and tricks that you can incorporate into your daily wellness routine to help with your hair health:
- Look into the growth cycle of your hair;
- Take your nutrition seriously - start to filter your water, increase your protein (high quality, only), and load up on iron, B12 and zinc rich foods. Focus on increasing dark leafy greens, whole grains, organic animal protein and healthy fats (avocados, nuts, seeds, olives, high quality olive oil, etc);
- Avoid highlighting your hair where possible, the older I get, the more it breaks;
- Use a silk scrunchie or something loose to avoid breakage;
- Avoid tying your hair up unless necessary;
- Never use a rubber band on wet hair or brush your hair when wet (it is thought that this stretches the hair and weakens it, increasing the likelihood of breakage);
- Brush your hair every night with a scalp brush to stimulate growth, I like the S scalp brush;
- Sleep with a silk pillowcase.
I hope this is helpful. I'd love to hear your hair growth stories!
Love Jena x